An acne skin condition is most common during the teenage years. Sometimes it becomes widespread and is persistent for years to come.
The skin has pores and consists of a follicle as an opening, the follicle is made up of hair and a sebaceous (oil) gland. The oil gland releases sebum (oil), the sebum keeps your skin lubricated and soft. The problem is when the pores get clogged or the gland releases extra oil or the bacteria in the pores, this problem develops into acne. We will talk to the point providing the most updated and that much valuable information that you will need to know. Here are the 5 important things you need to know about acne
- So, why are you getting Acne?
Though Acne affects people of all age groups but is most common during puberty. This skin condition occurs when your hair follicles become clogged with oil and dead skin cells and a more intense oily skin type usually occurring over the forehead, face, chest, upper back and shoulder. This is a natural condition when taken early care will heal easily but can grow to severe conditions going on for years or decades as well.
There are common myths that Chocolate, greasy food, dirty skin and cosmetics cause acne, however using cosmetics that are not medically proven, having harmful chemicals or overuse to block the pores of the skin may harm and can have an adverse effect on your skin. Five main factors that caused acne are:
- Excess oil (sebum) production
- Hair follicles clogged by oil and dead skin cells
- Hormonal change
- What are Acne Symptoms?
These are similar to blackheads in appearance but firmer and when squeezed when empty.
Open clogged pores or bump on the skin which may be black or yellowish due to the hair follicle producing colour pigmentation
- Acne Papules
Small red, tender or sore bumps
- Acne Pustules (Pimples)
Which are papules with white tips at the centre filled with pus
- Acne Nodules
A large, solid build-up of lumps under the skin may be painful
Large pus-filled lumps under the skin which is the most severe type of spot caused by acne. It may leave permanent scarring.
- What are the tips to prevent acne?
Remember, these tips may reduce the severity of acne but there is no sure way to prevent it.
- Wash your face with acne face wash, but not more than twice a day. It will help prevent oil buildup and remove dead skin that may clog the pores. Washing too much can irritate your existing acne and over-drying of your skin.
- Keep sweat away from the acne, wash your sweat with a water splash because it can make the acne condition worse by clogging the pores. So, after exercising or after working hard, remember to wash off your sweat.
- Avoid too much makeup and cosmetics usages for obvious reasons and also to be aware of chemicals of cosmetics you use, if it has been medically approved, skin type and other its authenticity. You should look for ones that are non-comedogenic, which means that they don’t clog skin pores.
- Avoid wearing tight clothes if you have acne over your chest and back to avoid rub, which can cause irritation.
- Do not try to squeeze out or try to clean out acne.
- What are the treatments of acne?
Having a few blackheads, whiteheads or spots is easily treatable with creams that contain benzoyl peroxide available in general shops.
If over the counter cream or lotion is not healing the acne, then you may look for prescription-based drugs which may be prescribed by the doctor based on the condition and lab test. These are:
- topical retinoid
- topical antibiotics
- azelaic acid-based cream/lotion
- antibiotic tablets
- isotretinoin tablets
If your condition is much more severe, painful or hormonal imbalance. You must consult with a legal medical practitioner for diagnosing purposes.
- How to treat Acne Scar Mark?
When the most severe type of scars burst or are damaged, it leaves scar marks over the area and in different shapes and sizes. More severe marks may need cosmetic, laser surgery, skin grafting and others as per the case. Consult with a skin specialist for a better understanding of your acne scarring and the available procedures for the removal.
However, mild ones may fade away with time but to fasten up the process, treat it with acne scar creams and lotion.