Who doesn’t like a budget-friendly yet effective skincare? And we sure do appreciate the skin-safe ingredients in our skincare routine. What if I were to tell you that you can create a skincare routine and formulate skincare products with active ingredients with simple products randomly laying in your kitchen. You can make your anti-eczema cream/eczema soothing cream simply by making your own Oats Cream loaded with ceramides using simple edible oats, you can make a hydrating and soothing mask with near-at-hand ingredients like honey and turmeric. Grab a cup of coffee and give this 5-minute-read blog to learn the power-packed DIY skincare formulations and ingredients for various skin concerns and needs.
Let’s Learn About DIY skincare In Winter In brief:
Oat creams have been garnering a lot of attention recently and for good reasons, it is considered one of the best ingredients to treat dry skin, eczema, and psoriasis given that they are natural reservoirs for ceramides, protein, vitamins, and polysaccharides.
Oats have always been used for their healing properties and are a classical ingredient used in the Roman Empire for their cleansing and moisturizing properties. Oats bath to help soothe dry, flakey, and inflamed skin is recommended given its gentle cleansing properties.
Including oats or oats-based skincare products in your skincare helps with:
- Gentle cleansing and exfoliation through the action of saponins that are naturally present in colloidal oats
- Maintains pH of the skin and helps maintain the skin's optimal health.
- Oats cream helps maintain and promote skin barrier health thus providing added immunity.
- They serve as a reservoir of natural prebiotics that when applied help promote a healthy skin microbiome.
- They are effective against dry skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis.
- They help enhance skin complexion, maintaining even skin tone.
How To Use:
As Facial Scrub: Mix oats with honey/water and use it as a gentle scrub that exfoliates, de-tans, and repairs the skin barrier.
As Colloidal Oat Bath For Eczema: Use colloidal oat (milled oat) in the bath water to manage dry/flakey skin and to soothe eczema and psoriasis.
Steps to prepare oatmeal bath water:
- Use lukewarm water, please avoid too hot or too cold water as they can strip natural oil.
- Mix oats in the bath water and soak for about 15-20 minutes.
- Rinse well after bathing.
- Towel dry lightly and complete it all with a good moisturizer or oat cream.
Honey has been globally used as a classical skincare ingredient for its anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. It can be used as a hydrating facial mask that helps fight acne and minimize the appearance of pores. Let's learn about the major skin benefits of honey.
- Honey helps deep cleanse pores while gently exfoliating the skin.
- Honey works as a natural humectant and promotes skin hydration and moisturization.
- Honey has anti-bacterial properties that help prevent acne and breakouts.
- It has enzymes, amino acids, and proteins that help reduce acne marks and hyperpigmentation.
- Honey is anti-inflammatory helps in reducing the signs of aging, and reverses sun damage.
How To Use:
Honey can be used as a facial mask, as a hair mask, and as an overnight lip mask.
Honey can also be mixed with other ingredients to help with various skin concerns:
- Honey + Turmeric: To help prevent acne & acne marks
- Honey + Aloe Vera: To help soothe sunburn
- Honey + Oatmeal: To formulate a moisturizing and hydrating facial mask.
One of the most power-packed prebiotic foods that does wonders for your gut and your skin is Yogurt. It is rich in lactic acid and prebiotics thus they are ideal to be used for mild exfoliation and skin rejuvenation.
- Yogurt helps in managing acne and breakouts.
- It provides strength to the skin barrier thus promoting healthier, plumper, and rejuvenated skin.
- It is loaded with prebiotics that help retain and promote the optimal microbiome for the skin.
- It can also be used as a scalp cleansing and hydrating hair mask.
Papaya is loaded with papain and chymopapain that causes gentle enzymatic exfoliation of the skin which helps in shedding the dead skin layer, enhancing complexion, and reducing hyperpigmentation, and its potent anti-oxidant effects help in reversing sun damage, it is a good source of Vitamin C thus papaya makes a good exfoliating face mask that brightens, and rejuvenates your skin.
How To Use:
Take half a cup of Papaya
Mash it till it has a paste-like consistency.
Add 1 Tsp of Sandalwood powder to it (optional)
Apply all over the skin and neck
- Let it rest for 15-20 minutes.
- Wash it off with water.
- Finish with a gentle moisturizer
Hopefully, this blog helped you understand and gave you ideas about creating your own DIY Oat Cream using oats, DIY Exfoliating Mask using papaya and yogurt, and a non-comedogenic moisturizer using honey. There are many other DIY ingredients that you can simply find in your pantry starting from turmeric powder, neem powder, rose petal powder, well the list can go on and on. Go ahead and make your very own oats cream to keep your skin glowing and rejuvenate the entire winter season.
Also read- How To Manage Hair Fall This Winter?