Who doesn’t want to gain wisdom that comes with age and experience JUST excluding the aging part?
Yes, we understand the struggles of looking in the mirror and seeing an aged stranger looking back. But on a serious note, is aging really as bad as it sounds (or looks in this case) or is it just a marketing gimmick to make us think otherwise? Let’s first understand what constitutes aging, what are the signs of aging, what factors play into it and whether these anti-aging serums or Dark Spot Removal Cream By Dermatologist really work.
Aging is a progressive biological decline that eventually takes over an adult's life. Simply put, with time living organisms grow old which affects their physiological functioning with observable signs like weakness, wrinkles, and frequent health issues.
One of the most visible signs of aging is the appearance of wrinkles around the eyes, cheeks, and fine lines on the forehead. What exactly is happening underneath?
Our skin is held by structural proteins like collagen and elastin. Their degradation and decline leads to unsupported structure underneath the skin giving an appearance of wrinkles.
Factors That Play into Aging:
- Metabolism: One of the major biological and physiological factors that age us is the same factor that sustains us, our own metabolism. This type of aging is called intrinsic aging and is characterized by thinning epidermis and fine lines. With passing years, the levels of reactive oxygen species tend to increase with a decrease in natural antioxidant defense thereby increasing physiological aging of the body. Also, general wear and tear tend to build up in our body as small traumas, mutations, and overall decrease in natural defense and repair also contribute to declining skin health.
- Photoaging: Extrinsic Aging occurs due to sun exposure leading to an increase in ROS levels, Matrix Metalloproteinase enzyme (degrades collagen), and rapid deterioration of the dermis giving an appearance of deep wrinkles, skin laxity, and dark spots.
Lifestyle Choices: Excess stress, smoking, drinking, irregular sleep habits, and food consumption also significantly affect skin aging and overall health.
The Visible And Tell-Tale Signs Of Aging
Though aging is a broader term that includes overall physical and physiological changes in the body of an individual with the passing of time, the most significant and visible signs of aging are:
- Dull Skin– As one gets old, the water-retaining capacity of the skin decreases thereby slowing down the skin renewal process this results in a drier and duller appearance.
- Fine Lines And Wrinkles– The most identifiable features that are so much connected with the aging process. Fine lines and wrinkles appear due to the slackening of elastin and collagen fibers giving a loose and lax appearance to the skin.
- Uneven Skin Tone/Age Spots– As age progresses, the skin tone starts becoming uneven in places due to excess melanin accumulation which gets triggered by UV exposure thereby increasing ROS levels.
However, all the above signs of aging can be reversed to a greater extent with the help of modern medical marvels that are now much more popular due to their efficacy and evolving innovation.
Although Aging is something that is inevitable and the unending desire to defy it often draws the individual’s attention toward OTC-driven anti-aging serums, facial toners, dark spot removal creams by Dermatologists' advice, etc.
So we circle back to the previous question, do the antiaging products work?!
Well, it depends on the ingredients that constitute the serum underneath all that fancy marketing. Most antiaging approaches tend to target and aim to decrease ROS levels and melanin deposition, or indirectly/directly enhance and protect the collagen.
Ingredients To Look Out For to safeguard youthful radiance:
- Topical Retinoids (Vitamin A derivative) tend to decrease the level of MMPs thereby indirectly protecting the collagen from UV degradation.
- Antioxidants like Vitamin C, Vitamin E, red algae extract, etc., keep ROS levels in check thereby decreasing skin aging. Vitamin C serums or Calendula Toner can be added to the end-of-the-day skin regimen to tighten the pores and enhance a youthful glow.
- Usually, dermatologists recommend Dark Spot Removal Cream contains potent Niacinamide and ascorbic acid due to its ability to decrease hyperpigmentation and age spots at a biochemical level.
- Peptides directly enhance the formation of collagen or contribute to its production hence rejuvenating the skin's health.
To effectively counter the premature aging process, the following preventive measures can be taken:
- Avoid long exposure to sun rays. Even for short stints, wear a good sunscreen lotion that effectively protects against ultraviolet radiation.
- Drink plenty of water to flush out toxins and maintain skin hydration.
- Physical activity boosts blood circulation and allows oxygenation thereby energizing the skin cells.
- Adopt an effective skin regimen. A scientifically formulated and dermatologist-recommended anti aging cream and Anti Aging Serum can provide an effective recourse, reducing the effects of aging accelerators.
In the end, aging is part of life one can’t completely escape but fortunately can slow down especially its visible effects by maintaining a healthy lifestyle and strict skincare routine. Your experiences and wisdom collected with time define you more than what is visible on the skin.